Fashionable men and women can easily add a touch of affordable luxury to their wardrobes — and stay a little warmer in winter — by wearing a collar, a scarf, mink-lined gloves or other accessory made of real fur.
Wear a fur stole.
A fox or mink stole adds high drama to a suit. Wear it over your shoulders or draped loosely around your neck like a boa.
In 2009, you can purchase a fur stole with real fur linings from $300 at vintage fur boutiques to over $3,000 dollars at luxury department stores.
Choose leather gloves lined in mink or fox.
Despite PETA’s (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) reports of animal cruelty and abuse among some of our four legged friends, real fur is still very fashionable. When the freezing-cold temperatures attack, your fingers will stay warm in fur-lined gloves.
Add a fur vest to your wardrobe.
A mink or rabbit vest can be worn casually with jeans or with your finest woolen items for dressier occasions. To avoid adding bulk to your frame, pair it with a thin turtleneck or long-sleeved cotton top.
Select detachable fur collars and cuffs that complement your existing wardrobe items.
These fur fashion items will instantly update wardrobe staples such as a denim jacket or cashmere coat. If you cannot afford the expense of a new coat, a fur scarf will add a little luxury to your old wardrobe items instantly.
Wrap your neck in luxury with a fur muffler or scarf.
The finest fur scarves are created using mink, fox, rabbit, chinchilla, shearling and sable. Wear these items during casual dinner dates or on formal occasions.
Final tips for your fall fur fashion guide…
- You can recognize an expensive fur accessory by the meticulous alignment of the fur pelts and the expert tailoring used to create the hem, lining and buttonhooks.
- If you wish to use real fur in your fashion choices, wear these items during casual dinner dates or for formal dressing occasions.
- Select fur accessories that are timeless and not trend-specific.
- Keep your fur pieces away from the heat.
- Have a professional furrier clean your piece once a year and handle any needed repairs or spot cleaning.