In the past, designer sample sale shopping was limited to privileged fashion insiders who lived in Los Angeles and New York.
Designers would sell sample clothing – used in previous collections – via top-secret, invitation-only events to magazine editors, store buyers and clothing manufacturers.
For those bargain fashion lovers looking for name brand samples online and designer overstock items – without ever leaving the comforts of home – there’s no greater feeling than finding the latest shoes, handbags and designer fashion at an online sample sale.
Things you’ll need for an online sample sale
- An email address to register for each website
- A list of your favorite online sample sales sites
Step 1) Create a separate email address from your main contact email for sample sale notification.
Most shopping websites will send newsletters and daily emails to announce deals. It’s best to create a free Gmail or Yahoo account to break up the online sample sale announcements from your general correspondence.
Step 2) Make a list of online sample sale sites.
Determine which online shopping destinations carry the best merchandise for your wallet. Type the words online sample sale sites into a search engine to compile a list.
Great resources for online sample sites include:
Online Sample Sale Site # 1 Editor’s Closet
Online Sample Sale Site # 2 Ideeli
Online Sample Sale Site # 3 MyHabit
Online Sample Sale Site # 4 Gilt Groupe
Step 3) Register for the online sales using your email address.
Join only the sites that sell your favorite designer’s merchandise. If the sample site is members only, get on the email list.
Once you’ve completed registration, check your inbox for daily email alerts. Mark your calendar appropriately, so you don’t miss the secret deals.
Step 4) Shop the first day and the first hours of the online sample sale.
As soon as you receive the email alert announcing the new merchandise, visit the sale site immediately. Sales are usually on a first come, first serve basis.
Most sample sale shoppers get the best deals within the first few hours of the sale.
5) Know the designer goods before your buy online.
Familiarize yourself with the designer merchandise by visiting your favorite department store or boutique to identify designer goods in person.
Avoid shoppers’ remorse by examining a designer’s garment or accessory in person, before you buy online.
6) Beware of impulse online shopping. Be strategic.
Determine a shopping budget before you make any purchases. Online sample sales are notoriously addictive, so shop wisely and frugally.
7) Review the payment and return policies thoroughly.
Make sure that you’re absolutely in love with your purchase before your buy it. Sample sales prices are usually final.
- Sample sale items are either overstocked goods or preview items for editors or fashion industry insiders.
- Shopping online is often done sight unseen. A picture of the merchandise is provided for knowledge only. If you don’t recognize the designer items, don’t buy it.
- Get on the mailing list first. Preview the merchandise for a few weeks to determine the quality of the goods sold.
- Some online sample sale sites are invitation only. Register for the waiting list or have a current member refer you email address to the website for access.
The new sample sale phenomenon gives designer shopping access to label-loving fashion fanatics everywhere. Use these tips to shop and save at a designer fashion sample sale online.